Thursday, January 7, 2016

Are You Looking in the Right Place?



Are You Looking in the Right Place?

Why did Cat Stevens write "Morning has Broken?" Or, did he write it?
"Morning Has Broken" is a popular and well-known Christian hymn first published in 1931. It has always been one I had a personal affinity for. It was made popular by Cat Stevens in 1972. I can remember my high school English teacher asking our class what Stevens may have been alluding to with some of the lyrics that ‘he wrote’ in that song. Not all English teachers are also history buffs. Stevens wrote many songs and in most you can hear his personal search for some kind of spiritual fulfillment. In 1977 he became a Muslim.
I find it to be very tragic when anyone finds Islam to be attractive or fulfilling. I keep a copy of the Qur'an on my computer (not recommended) and although I have not read it in its entirety I can say I find any attraction to it to be most perplexing. Why did Stevens go to that religious system?
I don’t know anything at all about Cat Stevens personal history. I don’t know where he grew up or under what circumstances. I do not know if he was raised in some form of Christianity or in Atheism. My source of truth is the Word of God and I believe every word contained within its pages. If Cat Stevens went to Islam, which is the antithesis of Christianity, it can only be because he was seeking truth outside of Christianity. In other words, there was some reason he did not want to follow after the God of the Bible.
How can I make such a brash statement? I can because that is precisely what the Word of God says. Prov. 8:17 "I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me." Jer. 29:13 "And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." Psalm 119:2 "Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart." I could most certainly list myriad other passages teaching the same truth. If we diligently search for a true knowledge of God He will ensure that we find Him. The fact that Stevens and so many others, especially celebrities of our day, have turned to such anti-Christian religions is evidence that they began with a prejudice against Jesus Christ. When one goes into a cave looking for coal and chips away diligently hour after hour he may well find coal. Sadly, his focus on coal might very well be the cause of his overlooking the diamonds all around him.
What have you been searching for? Jeremiah 29:13 “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” Look for him now, today while you still have breath, and you will find Jesus Christ to be the source of all comfort, Isa 55:6-7 “Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: (v.7) Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.“ Jesus said in John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
Sometimes we are just looking in the wrong place.

No comments:

Post a Comment