Thursday, January 7, 2016

WHY DO I KEEP WRITING?



WHY DO I KEEP WRITING?

I am sure many have asked, “Why does he keep writing?” Or, “Why doesn’t he give it up and write or post something more interesting?” I can’t. I write in the hope that I can encourage the believer or stir the heart of the unsaved. I write in the hope that others re-post and by so doing we collectively reach and encourage so many I could never reach alone. When God becomes real to you, you simply cannot turn it on or off. Especially when you see what Jesus saw.
What did Jesus see? John 4:35b-38 “Behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest. (v.36) And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together. (v.37) And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth. (v.38) I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.”
Whatever he saw, whatever he was looking at, he earnestly wanted his disciples to see it as well. If I might paraphrase verse 35b, “Look men! Look at the fields! Open your eyes and wake from slumber! This is it, this is the time, and the harvest is ready to bring in. There is not another day to wait. This is the day, this is the time of harvest.” Jesus looked with urgency, can I do less? Why do I continue to write what seems to be the same thing over and over? Because I am beginning to see what Jesus saw so clearly. I see someone reading my post and never letting me know they were there, but still they read it. I am beginning to see a friend of yours reading and never hitting the ‘like’ button but quietly going away and at least thinking for that one moment on the love of God. I am beginning to see multitudes lost. People I may never talk to personally slipping into hell, people I might have reached with the Word of God if I simply posted the Word and with your help reposted it. I don’t do it for the reward but Jesus certainly said we would receive reward by reaching out to the lost (v.36-37). My greatest reward will be knowing that someone standing beside me at the Judgment Seat of Christ will be there because I was faithful for at least one day.  My reward will be knowing that at least for one moment I was faithful to write what God placed in my heart and it forever changed another heart. Can I do less?
Why do I continue to write? Jesus said in verses 34-35a that everything he did was for two reasons, “Jesus saith unto them, my meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work. (v.35a) Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest…?” Did you see it? Look again at the first part of verse 34. Jesus said his very life sustenance was to serve God. Fulfilling the will of God in his life gave him life. What is it that gives us life? Jesus, the son of God, said he must serve God today because we cannot even be sure that we have “four months” left. We may not have tomorrow.
I am finally getting to that place in life where I can say it is my love for God that drives me on. Oh, but how I yearn to have those first 40 years back. 40 years of half-hearted service, 40 years of lost souls walking past me every day and never being challenged by the Word of God. Why do I continue to write? God has given to me an avenue by which I can encourage believers and challenge the lost. I see the fields and I must, “do the will of Him that sent me” while I still have breath.
Can I challenge you today? Ask yourself why? Why do you serve God? I fear too many serve out of obligation and not love of God and the lost. Too many have a ‘job’ in the church. Too many serve out of expectation. We must look on the fields. We must begin to stand there with Jesus and see what he saw. We must begin to ask ‘Why’ why do we do the things we do. Re-evaluate your purpose. Ask yourself today the same question I had to ask myself, “Why do I continue to _______,” and place in that blank the one thing you believe God has called you to do. Each of us has a calling but none of us should ever have a ‘job’ in the Church.
Why do I continue to write? Because I see the fields white already unto harvest and because serving God is the very breath of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment