Wednesday, January 6, 2016

A MEMORY AND A PROMISE



A MEMORY AND A PROMISE

Merry Christmas. I really do wish a merry Christmas to one and all. However, I find that I also wonder greatly at what that simple greeting means. Oh, I know it means that the person offering the greeting is hoping that the other person will find happiness during the period we refer to as Christmas. But that is what I wonder about. The happiness. The merry sentiment.

As I drive through our town I see many houses that are plain. They have no lights outside. But as I pass I can almost always detect some sort of gaiety inside. A tree decorated, gifts on a table, or candles in the windows are there to help set the tone. Some houses are ornate. They are wrapped round and round with endless strings of multi-colored lights. They have snowmen and reindeer on the lawn guarded by images of playful children. And almost always a red suited fat man with a long fluffy white beard will be seen in some location. Most homes, and the families they represent, are intent on creating by some means an atmosphere of merriment and happiness. For this brief season each year they conjure an emotion which does not exist throughout most of the rest of the year.
The songs they employ have the same purpose, creating the illusion of joy. For example, “Deck the halls with boughs of holly, 'tis the season to be jolly, don we now our gay apparel, troll the ancient Yuletide carol. Follow me in merry measure. Fast away the old year passes. Hail the new, ye lads and lasses. Sing we joyous all together! Heedless of the wind and weather….” Or, maybe this one, “City sidewalks, busy sidewalks, dressed in holiday style, in the air there's a feeling of Christmas. Children laughing, people passing, meeting smile after smile and on every street corner you'll hear, ‘Silver bells, silver bells it's Christmas time in the city, ring-a-ling, hear them sing, soon it will be Christmas day.’ Strings of street lights, even stop lights, blink a bright red and green, as the shoppers rush home with their treasures. Hear the snow crunch, see the kids bunch, this is Santa's big scene. And above all this bustle you'll hear, ‘Silver bells…. ‘” These songs and multitudes like them seek to create a feeling, an emotion which does not naturally exist in so many who will sing them year after year. Songs and decorations bent on creating a feeling of joy without a true foundation, without any real basis. Santa, reindeer, snowy days, giving and receiving presents? Are these to be the reason for unprecedented merriment?

Forgive me for throwing the proverbial ‘wet blanket’ on such long tradition. But also allow me to offer a true reason to rejoice. A memory and a promise. 

We have the memory of God’s greatest gift. Luke 2:10-11 “And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. (v.11) For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.” We remember that day. The day God provided the means to save a lost and dying world. He could have chosen to have each of us pay for our own sin and allow us to be separated from him for all of eternity (Romans 6:23). Instead God allowed his own son to bear the burden of our sin himself, Isa 53:6 “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.” One day each year we take a moment to especially reflect on the mercy and grace of God in saving us from a godless eternity in hell and granting us a place in heaven as joint heirs with Jesus Christ, (Romans 8:17). In this memory of God’s provision, the birth of His dear son, we have real joy.
And we have a promise. We hold to the promises of God every day. But one day each year we take a moment to reflect more completely on a very precious promise Jesus made, John 14:1-3 “Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. (v.2) In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. (v.3) And, if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.” Jesus said (and I paraphrase), “Don’t let the troubles of this world weigh you down because I am coming back very soon to take you out of this world.” He promised not only that he would return but that we already have a home prepared for us individually and personally in heaven. We have the promise of his soon return, and with it great joy.

For the Christian the Christmas season holds joy and merriment we do not have to ‘conjure’ up. It holds peace and true happiness that no lights or tinsel or lawn ornament could ever produce. Our joy, our happiness, our peace are all real and eternal because we have a memory and we have a promise. We celebrate jointly but once each year though the gift is ours forever.

I rejoice this time of year because I have a memory of our Savior’s redemption and I have the promise of His soon return.



No comments:

Post a Comment